Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Winter 2017/2018
WELCOME to the miniwebsite of the Advanced Engineering Mathematics course. You will find the details regarding the course in the Syllabus; please download and read it.
First of all, please sign-up for the course here!!!
By signing up yourself via the given link, you will collect 2 bonus points, which will add to points you need (10 points) in order to take the Final Exam. Please, do not forget to enrol yourself for the course via TU BOSS system (if the link does not work, please copy-paste the URL into the navigation bar of your internet browser https://www.boss.tu-dortmund.de). Then, you will be an official attendee of the lecture and are required to take the exams. If you are not successful with the sign-up, please send me an e-mail (ebayrakt at math. tu-dortmund. de). No worries, if you are signed-up in the list which was passed around in the class or via the provided link above, we will manage to give you a proof of your attendance and success/fail in the course.
Our miniwebsite will be regularly updated, please occasionally update yourself here; where, you will find information about schedules, exercises, helpdesk, examinations and more.
Final-Exam 1 Results
- The updated Exam-Results; if you see that there is a discrepancy, please write me an e-mail. I will first send the results to the examination-office on 08.02, Thursday.
- In total, below 30 fails; and 70 and above is 1.0.
- You will be able to see your exams during the class time on Thursday, 01.02, starting at 14:15. You will be able to see them in groups of 6. You will have 10-15 min to review your exam and for your questions. If you will need more time, we will try to arrange it.
- Today in the evening the results will be already published, after 20:00.
- You will also see the grading catalogue.
Final-Exam 1 Announcments
- If you are not signed up for the exam in the paper list or via BOSS, you will not be allowed to take the Exam.
- Please inform yourself with the terms and conditions of the exam, here. This is the cover-page of the examination.
- Please enter the room first at 07:45. When you enter the exam-room, have a seat where the exam-sheets are, starting from the very first row to the back at the empty spots.
- You are not allowed
to enter the exam after 08:15,
to leave the exam room before 08:30,
to take a break during the exam period,
to leave the exam-room in the last 15' of the exam-period.
- If you get more than 90 (out of 100) at the final-exam, you pass the class with 1.0.
- In order to pass the class you need at least
35% from the Final-Exam and 35% of the total;
or 45% of the final-exam.
- If I will be able to grade the exams until 01.02, Thursday. You will be able to review your exams at the Lecture time on the Thursday. Please, have a look at the announcements again on Thursday morning.
Here you will find the most recent updates regarding our course. Please follow the announcements. Everything which is announced in the class, will be or will have already been announced here.
- The exam on 30.01.18 will start sharp on 08:00, please be ready at your seats shortly before 08:00. The due time is 10:00. We have the room until 10:15, so you will have a good 2 hours to work on your solutions. Please inform yourself again on 29.01 here, for the details of the examination.
- The threshold to take the Final Exam since is decreased, the mean is less than expected. The new threshold is MEAN-STD, which is fair. Students who have collected less than the threshold at Total (20), please contact me via e-mail or see me after the Thursday lecture (25.01).
- This week's PSs will be given by the assistant, solution of Exercise-Sheet 9, Problem 1 of Take Home Exam II.
- The updated list for the grades is uploaded.
- I think every one will be able to take the Exam but with some friends, we may need to talk first. Nevertheless, this will be an issue for the Thurdasy lecture.
- I strongly encourage you to take the first exam. Nevertheless, if you make your decision against, please let me know about your plans, by writing Exam II at the box which is left for your signature; or, send me an e-mail. This will be just for information it is not an official enrollment.
- I will also bring a list to the class tomorrow (23.01.18), you will need to also sign up there; this will be more for my own purposes. If you can not sign up for the exam at BOSS, please put a star in the list next to your name. For those who can not sign up via BOSS or in the list; please send me an e-mail explaining your situation.
- You are now, supposedly, able to enrol yourself via the Boss system for the final exam, until 26.01. In the system, you will see Prof. Turek is stated as the examiner, that's OK!
- Tuesday lectures start at 08:45. If it starts at 08:15, it is explicitly announced here! This has been our convention from the very first day.
- We will start PSs on Wednesdays at 12:15 from 13.12.2017 on.
- The agreed dates for the Final-Exams are approved by the administration:
30.01.2018, Final-Exam I, in M-E28 (Lecture-room) at 08:00 (sharp).
07.03.2018, Final-Exam II, in HGII/HS6 at 11:30 (sharp).
- The PSs on Thursdays start at 10:15.
- Tue, 08:15 (08:45), 2 hours (1 hour) at M/E28
- Thu, 14:00, 2 hours at M/E29
We will meet twice a week, and 3 hours/week are reserved for the course. Tuesday lectures start at 08:15 and Thursday lectures start at 14:00. Thursday lectures are always for 2 hours. Tuesday lectures are 2 hours in the first month (October); then, they will be 1 hour (1 hour lectures on Tuesdays start at 08:45). Nevertheless, we may later need to have 2 hours lectures on Tuesdays again; so please, regularly update yourself at the miniwebsite. Please see the Syllabus for details, e.g. lecture days and the content of the lectures.
Problem Session (PS)
- Wed, 12:15 at HGII/HS4 (2 hours with the Assistant)
- Thu, 10:15 at M/E19 (2 hours with the Instructor)
There will be 2 PSs (almost) every week. Attending a PS is strongly recommended; only one is sufficient, they will be repetitive. We will present the solutions of chosen exercises, have supplementary discussions and give you a taste of numerics by applying the theory within Matlab environment.
It will be fun ;)
The attendance is not mandatory; however, there will be pop-up quizzes (see details in Syllabus)
There are no mandatory homework. To work on the assigned exercises is on your freewill and for your own benefit. Working on the exercises is strongly recommended. Please find the assigned exercises here.
- There will be NO midterms.
- There will be 2 Take-Home Exams
- Take-Home Exam-I, due date: 14:00, 02.11
- Take-Home Exam-II, due date: 14:00, 21.12
- There will be 2 Final Exams:
- 30.01.2018, Final-Exam I, in M-E28 (Lecture-room) at 08:00 (sharp),
- 07.03.2018, Final-Exam II, in HGII/HS6 at 11:30 (sharp).
To see the details regarding the Take-Home Exams, please refer to Syllabus.
The exact dates of the Final Exams, we will be deciding in the lecture on 19.10.
You may take only one Final Exam unless you fail at the first one.
I strongly encourage you to take the first Final Exam; and, pass it! :) You will find the details regarding the exams and prerequisites to take the final examination in Syllabus.
You can ask questions regarding the lecture and exercises within Helpdesk.