Adavanced Engineering Mathematics, Winter 2017/2018
WELCOME to the miniwebsite of the Advanced Engineering Mathematics course. You will find the details regarding the course in the Syllabus; please download and read it.
First of all, please sign-up for the course here!!!
By signing up yourself via the given link, you will collect 2 bonus points, which will add to points you need (10 points) in order to take the Final Exam. Please, do not forget to enrol yourself for the course via TU BOSS system (if the link does not work, please copy-paste the URL into the navigation bar of your internet browser https://www.boss.tu-dortmund.de). Then, you will be an official attendee of the lecture and are required to take the exams. If you are not successful with the sign-up, please send me an e-mail (ebayrakt at math. tu-dortmund. de). No worries, if you are signed-up in the list which was passed around in the class or via the provided link above, we will manage to give you a proof of your attendance and success/fail in the course.
Our miniwebsite will be regularly updated, please occasionally update yourself here; where, you will find information about schedules, exercises, helpdesk, examinations and more.
Here you will find the most recent updates regarding our course. Please follow the announcements. Everything which is announced in the class, will be or will have already been announced here.
- You are now, supposedly, able to enrol yourself via the Boss system for the final exam, until 26.01. In the system, you will see Prof. Turek is stated as the examiner, that's OK!
- I will also bring a list to the class on Thursday (18.01), you will need to also sign up there; this will be more for my own purposes. If you are not able to visit the lecture on Thursday, you may come to my office to sign up.
- This weeks PSs will be given by the lecturer. We will continue with the discussion on the numeric solution of ODEs within Matlab and solution of Exercise-Sheet 9.
- In the lecture on 18.01, we will discuss the Implicit Functions, Taylor Expansion, Symmetric Matrices and Quadratic Forms, and Extreme Values.
- We will have the Quiz-IV at the class on 18.01.
- I will bring with me the evaluation form for the lecture on 18.01, your feedback is important to improve the quality of the lecture.
- Tuesday lectures start at 08:45. If it starts at 08:15, it is explicitly announced here! This has been our convention from the very first day.
- We will start PSs on Wednesdays at 12:15 from 13.12.2017 on.
- The agreed dates for the Final-Exams are approved by the administration:
30.01.2018, Final-Exam I, in M-E28 (Lecture-room) at 08:00 (sharp).
07.03.2018, Final-Exam II, in HGII/HS6 at 11:30 (sharp).
- Regarding registration for the course via TU BOSS system, there are 2 options available for the course:
1. 60100 Modul Advanced Engineering Mathematics,
2. 60110 Modul Advanced Engineering Mathematics.
Please, do not rush to get enrolled via TU BOSS system, first you need to consult to Exam-Office ("Prüfungsamt") on this issue: what these 2 modules are. If anyone has a solid information, please share it with the instructor; then, this information will be announced here.
For the moment, it is more important that you are signed-up in the paper list, or better here.
- The PSs on Thursdays start at 10:15.
- Tue, 08:15 (08:45), 2 hours (1 hour) at M/E28
- Thu, 14:00, 2 hours at M/E29
We will meet twice a week, and 3 hours/week are reserved for the course. Tuesday lectures start at 08:15 and Thursday lectures start at 14:00. Thursday lectures are always for 2 hours. Tuesday lectures are 2 hours in the first month (October); then, they will be 1 hour (1 hour lectures on Tuesdays start at 08:45). Nevertheless, we may later need to have 2 hours lectures on Tuesdays again; so please, regularly update yourself at the miniwebsite. Please see the Syllabus for details, e.g. lecture days and the content of the lectures.
Problem Session (PS)
- Wed, 12:15 at HGII/HS4 (2 hours with the Assistant)
- Thu, 10:15 at M/E19 (2 hours with the Instructor)
There will be 2 PSs (almost) every week. Attending a PS is strongly recommended; only one is sufficient, they will be repetitive. We will present the solutions of chosen exercises, have supplementary discussions and give you a taste of numerics by applying the theory within Matlab environment.
It will be fun ;)
The attendance is not mandatory; however, there will be pop-up quizzes (see details in Syllabus)
There are no mandatory homework. To work on the assigned exercises is on your freewill and for your own benefit. Working on the exercises is strongly recommended. Please find the assigned exercises here.
- There will be NO midterms.
- There will be 2 Take-Home Exams
- Take-Home Exam-I, due date: 14:00, 02.11
- Take-Home Exam-II, due date: 14:00, 21.12
- There will be 2 Final Exams:
- 30.01.2018, Final-Exam I, in M-E28 (Lecture-room) at 08:00 (sharp),
- 07.03.2018, Final-Exam II, in HGII/HS6 at 11:30 (sharp).
To see the details regarding the Take-Home Exams, please refer to Syllabus.
The exact dates of the Final Exams, we will be deciding in the lecture on 19.10.
You may take only one Final Exam unless you fail at the first one.
I strongly encourage you to take the first Final Exam; and, pass it! :) You will find the details regarding the exams and prerequisites to take the final examination in Syllabus.
You can ask questions regarding the lecture and exercises within Helpdesk.